Student life: The ups, the downs and the in-betweens

06:48 Unknown 0 Comments






When people (aka real adults - not other students) ask about University, they tend to want to know about my course and not much else, but the truth is that obviously the course is important, but it's only a small part of the whole experience.

Yes I like my course, and yes I chose the right one, but no I don't think you need to study for a degree to know your stuff on whatever you're interested in. However, course aside, there is no other experience like university, because the skills you learn, the people you meet, and the unforgettable experiences are what really make the whole thing worthwhile.

I'm the first (and hopefully not the only) to admit, that let's be honest, we are all here at uni trying really really hard to extend our childhood as long as possible, and an extra three years of it seems like a pretty good idea. That's the weird thing about University, it's like a trial adulthood, jamming as many life experiences as possible into three (or four) years. Within a few months, we've gone from living at home, being cooked home cooked meals and dropped at friends houses, to renting a house, managing money (or lack of), and working to deadlines. 

I'm past my teenage years, but very new to the whole adult situation, a few years into getting served, but still not quite at the point where I can say I actually enjoy wine, half way into my degree but feeling like I've only just started.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that for every 'adult' experience I have, there's a ridiculously childish one. 

I cook my own meals BUT most of these are pasta, which I still can't get the right amount of.

I have keys to my house BUT I manage to lose them about 10 times a day.

I get served drinks because I look old enough (and am) BUT I end up acting a quarter of my age when I've had too many anyway.

I meet my deadlines BUT at the absolute last minute, and under the influence of too much coffee and sometimes alcohol (once)...

I plan my time out BUT it's wasted when I still go to bed at 4am and wake up at 1.


For more uni realities I recommend watching Fresh Meat on Channel 4.

Thanks for stopping by,


Holly x

You Might Also Like

0 comments: